18 July 2011

10 year anniversary trip - Destin, Florida

Thursday will mark our 10 year anniversary!!! While we were in Georgia the McBrides kept the kiddos so Nathan and I could take a trip together. We went to Destin, Florida for 3 days and it was AMAZING!!!!!

We stayed at the Henderson Park Inn Bed & Breakfast. Holy moly... it was gorgeous! We had a spacious room with a private balcony. The hotel was right on the beach and it was wonderful being able to open the balcony door and listen to the waves.

We tried to relax for most of the trip but I think we are just so used to being busy that relaxing didn't come easy! We slept in... but only until 830! hahaha We spent a lot of the time playing in the ocean and relaxing on the beach. We went snorkeling one afternoon, too! Anyone who knows me knows that just getting in the water is a huge step for me, let alone voluntarily swimming with fish. I am terrified of everything but it was wonderful to experience something new with Nathan.

If you ask Nathan what his favorite part of snorkeling was he will probably tell you it was when he told me to check out a big fish by the boat. I went under and freaked out. Nathan said that he will never forget the sound of my muffled scream coming through the snorkel! :)

We also enjoyed a REALLY nice dinner together at the Beach Walk Cafe. The food was amazing and it was a good thing that it was considering it was more than my 2 week grocery budget!!!! I had a warm spinach salad with a bacon and pancetta dressing (SO GOOD!) and roasted duck over a mushroom risotto (first time ever eating duck... it was yummy!). Nathan had a caprese salad and fresh caught red snapper topped with crab and roasted brussel sprouts. We also shared crab meat spring rolls for an appetizer. For dessert I got cheesecake with blackberries (it was great but not the best) and an AMAZING bread pudding with apples and caramel. The bread pudding was made with.... wait for it.... KRISPY CREME DONUTS! You wouldn't expect that from a fancy place but it was TO DIE FOR. I want to go back just for that bread pudding!

Oh, and we found an awesome Irish Pub called McGuires. It was so good and the portions were huge! We went for dinner one night and back for lunch the day we left. I wish I could go back!

We had a wonderful time being together as a couple and celebrating 10 years of marriage!!!


Couldn't resist writing in the sand

The room when we walked in. They even had a
CD playing of love songs. It was PERFECT!!!!!
Wine, grapes, and chocolates
The Inn... we stayed in the building on the right.
The restaurant is in the building on the left.

Snorkeling!!!
So much fun!
Okay, I know they are small but that is WAY too
many fish swimming by my feet!
Proof that I DID go underwater
McGuires
This is an APPETIZER. Holy smokes... that's
a lot of nachos! SO GOOD though. And, no, we couldn't
finish them!

The spinach artichoke dip. DELICIOUS!!!!
(And the appetizers weren't ordered at the same time...one
was from lunch and one was from a dinner!)

Hilarious story.... When we came for dinner, Nathan went to
the restroom to wash his hands. You know how you just look for
a sign that says men or women and walk in? Well, he did
just that. Except this was the women's restroom. He walked
right in to a bunch of ladies washing their hands. CRACKED
ME UP!!!!!!
At the restaurant for our dinner
Love this guy!
We sat outside and it was wonderful!
A storm rolled in... made for a gorgeous
walk on the beach


Don't mind my crazy hair!
Nathan calls this my mermaid hair...check
out all the seaweed!
Happy Hour
10 years and going strong!

3 comments:

The McBride Family said...

Aww so sweet!! :) And am I the first one to realize how close McGuire's is to McGrewe??? Funny! So glad you guys had fun. Happy Anniversary!!!!

Flourchild said...

Wow congrats on your anniversary !! THe place you got to celebrate is beautiful! How fun !!

ALLRED FAMILY said...

Happy Anniversary! Love all your pics of your trip!! I'm so happy for you guys that you were able to take such a great vacation. I love the museum photos. Such cuties!