02 June 2012

Memorial Day 5 mile Run

On Memorial Day Nathan and I did a 5 mile run in memory of our friends who were KIA. It was a tough run, emotionally and physically.

Emotionally because I couldn't help but think about these three men and what they would be doing if they were still here. What they and their families have sacrificed for our country. The moments I found out that each one was KIA were playing through my head. They were all great men and they are missed every day.

It was physically tough because I am not a runner. I am working on becoming a runner but the longest I have gone without needing walking breaks is 3.5 miles. I knew I wanted to run the entire 5 miles because it was a memorial run. I was doing it for them and I WAS NOT GOING TO QUIT! At one point Nathan started calling cadence to keep me motivated. :) I am happy to say that I did the full 5 miles without walking in just over an hour (a slow pace but still....)... quite an accomplishment for me!

I am grateful to have known these guys (and/or their families) and was honored to run in memory of them.





1 comment:

The Grows said...

So proud of you Cristine, I am sure those you were running for were proud of you too. Way to push through for a special cause!!