20 August 2012

First Day of School

Today was definitely a different "first day of school"! This year (or at least for the next few months) we are homeschooling! This decision was pretty much made for us but I am not disappointed. I have considered homeschooling in the past so this is a nice time to try it out!

A little backstory as to why we are homeschooling....

Anya has been going to a great elementary school for the last 3 years and she loved it there. We've been blessed with great teachers and a great experience. Unfortuntately, we live out of district. This hasn't been a problem before but they have new zones this year and are unable to accept any transfer requests. I will admit that I was slightly upset (okay, that might be an understatement! haha) when I found out because we are talking about 2 months here. Seriously... Anya is such an awesome student that I didn't see a problem with them making this exception. Anyway, since we are moving to Hawaii in November we didn't want her to have to start 2 new schools in a 3 month period so.... now we are homeschooling!

It is a double blessing to be able to homeschool. First of all, I LOVE having both kids home with me. Plus, Eric was not looking forward to Anya being gone after being with him all summer! Secondly, I need to work with Eric to get him ready for kinder and this allows me that structured time to sit with him.

Today was a great first day! I was pleasantly surprised that Eric was willing to sit and work. He usually prefers playing but I think the fact that Anya was with him made him want to do it. Anya was typical Anya and came bounding down the stairs the moment she woke up chanting "It's the first day of school!". It goes without saying that she was into her work and enjoyed herself!

We did some activities that were for both of them (tracing their bodies & coloring them) and a lot of work that was seperate. We also took a walk to the park and made a trip to the library where both kids zoomed straight for the non-fiction section and picked out books on animals, space, Hawaii, and science. I love that they enjoy learning so much!

I'm looking forward to seeing what the next 3 months bring! The plan as of now is to enroll them in school once we get to Hawaii but one thing I have learned is to never say never... so I can't say 100% that we won't continue homeschooling. We'll just have to see where this adventure takes us! :)
 First day of Pre-K!

Fixing her bracelet

 Now she is ready to smile!
First day of 2nd Grade!

 Love these two!

 They weren't excited AT ALL! :)


 This picture CRACKS me up... Classic Eric being goofy
and Anya wondering how her brother got so crazy! :)


 Hard at work

2 comments:

Brad and Erica said...

Homeschool with you looks like fun! Maybe you'll have to send me some of your ideas for Eric. Annika is going to preschool a couple days a week, but I wanted to work with her on the other days too. Tracing bodies sounds like something ALL my kids would enjoy! Good luck! I can't wait to hear all about your homeschool adventure!

The McBride Family said...

I love that you did her hair so cute for her first day of school at home! Looks like a lot of fun!