21 August 2013

Spartan Race

Last weekend Nathan and I ran the Spartan Race together! I was so excited for this race because it was the first one that I'd be doing with Nathan. We treated it like a date and stayed together the entire time. I know Nathan is ridiculously faster than I am and I thought it was awesome that he didn't care at all about his time... he just wanted to have fun!
 
The Spartan Sprint is a 3+ mile race with 15+ obstacles. I'm not sure exactly how long this course was (I didn't wear my Garmin) but it definitely felt longer than 3 miles (a friend told me she heard it was 4.1).
 
The course was INSANE. The hills were huge and hard. I read one of the ELITE athletes recap of this race and she said once the first hill came this race went from the "Spartan Sprint" to the "Spartan grunt, curse, and walk". It was TOUGH.
 
The obstacles were a mix of fun and hard. There were a few walls to jump/climb over (I think they were 5', 7', and 9'), a river to walk through, tons of mud, barbed wire to crawl under, walls to traverse, tire pull, atlas stone carry, rope climbs, sandbag carry, fire jump, etc. Too many to remember!
 
The views were an added bonus to the race. The course was at Kualoa Ranch on the windward side of the island. The mountains were gorgeous and we had a few ocean views, too! Running in Hawaii is the BEST!
 
We had a blast and are already looking forward to the next Spartan race. It was so awesome to be able to run with Nathan and I hope we have many more races together in our future!!!
 

















No comments: